Tuesday, June 14, 2011

7 girls, 1 house

So living with 7 girls from other parts of America is probably more of a culture shock than the rest of the ship will be. 

Other people's cultural norms are very very different than mine or what I've seen from other people.  It's kind of surprising, and some things are disappointing. I expected for a majority of the girls on this trip to be White girls, but just kinda shocking how true some of the stereotypes are..

it's mostly unnoticeable and most of the girls are really nice. I'm having a good time for the most part, but it's kinda like I'm hanging out with a bunch of tourists back home. One girl in particular is pretty racist against Asians...not like she hates Asians but just she sees them as inferior "Asian men are ugly" "I didn't want to say this in front of you two (the other Asian girl), but my school is full of Asians and we like to joke about hitting them"

idk it's kind of weird because anytime I say something about my life they act like I'm REALLY weird (which I knew already, but it's less of an interesting weird and more of a freaky weird). One girl said that Kamehamea Schools sounded like a cult..

The worst part is I don't really know how to respond to any of it. Like my instinct was to get correct them and tell them that it's not okay to say stuff like that, but I have to live with these girls until Thursday and its kind of 6 against 1 right now. I feel like the black sheep...and I'm extra shocked that people like this are going on the SAS since it's such a cultural mixture..but then again it is Europe not Asia or Africa.


Not complaining too much, just one girl in particular who I try to stay away from in fear of screaming at her. The rest are really nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment