Thursday, June 16, 2011

Sunshine and Frogs

Yesterday was my last FULL day in the Bahamas. I'm getting on the ship around 1pm today!!

In the daytime we went to the beach at the Sheraton which is a short bus ride away. I was smart this time and loaded up on sunscreen before we left. It was only 3 of us because some of the girls went on a stingray adventure, and another just wanted to stay home.  At first we all just laid out in the sun and went swimming. The water here is so shallow and goes on forever, so it was more like sitting in the water than swimming.


Probably shouldn't have laid out for so long because we all ended up running out of water.  It was funny because after overhearing other people's conversations we were surrounded by other SASers  and ended up staying out in the sun ALOT longer than we thought.  Me and Danielle got thirsty and the cheapest thing close by were coconut drinks. What's funny is that even though I'm from Hawai'i, I've never had a coconut drink...until yesterday =)

It got to the point where we were so burned we HAD TO go back to the villa and escape the sun. I was so red, but luckily this morning most of the redness has again faded to tan. I'm a little worried about my shoulders and parts of my arms because I scratched and now it's really itchy =/ But I'm hoping a few days with less sun will heal it all right up. Definitely should have packed that aloe vera. 


Later that night we decided to go out to Senor Frogs, but drinks at the bar are wayyyy to expensive, so we went to the duty free liquor store and got a bottle for $10 and mixed it with some McDonalds soda (Being the classy ladies we are) unfortunately I'm not in the picture, because I was taking it :P


As we were drinking we got minorly scammed by some boys giving us puka shells (we already knew what was happening, but didn't really mind) I told him all I had was change and he said okay...dumped my coin purse in his hand and he came back and complained that there were pennies in there. Part of the Bahamas experience I guess.. Definitely don't need more puka shells, but no big deal.

We just walked right in to Senor Frogs and they didn't charge us cover because they thought we were already inside (awesome way to save $10) walk in and their doing the shot line. Which is when they stand on chairs and pour shots in your mouth as people walk through in a conga line. Very fun, but that was my last drink of the night since we're in a foreign country and all. We danced for a while but then the music got lame. They played "We Will Rock You" at least 4 times and it was obvious that some girls don't know how to handle their alcohol because I'm calling the last half of the night the "night of the sloppy bitches" One girl took her top off in a booty shaking competition. At the end of the night, one got carried out with no shoes or panties on...another got lost and I later saw her get into a local guys car....Kind of scary that some girls are so unsafe when they drink especially when they are in an unfamiliar place.  Definitely happy that I went, because it reinforced that I can't get too drunk and I can't depend on another girl to take care of me because one girl in our group was trying to get us to leave another one just because "it's not her fault she's drunk." Maybe that's a cultural difference. She wasn't sloppy..just slow to leave, and it made me really uncomfortable to have to argue with someone just to wait for our other housemate.

Overall, I met a lot of SASers today at the beach and at Senor Frogs and learned three very important lessons

1. always wear sunscreen
2. always be sober enough to take care of yourself
3. don't trust other people to look after you or your things
things I already knew, but doesn't hurt to remember before going on a trip like this.

No comments:

Post a Comment