Thursday, June 23, 2011

Cabin Fever


I just realized I haven’t posted since the first day of classes…right now we’re on day 5 but it feels like I’ve been here for weeks. I definitely have a love/hate relationship to my poetry class. First assignment was awesome, second assignment was nerve racking. He wanted us to get all deeply emotional and that’s definitely the opposite of what I’ve been trying to do since I left Kainoa so it’s a nice little battle between me and poetics.

I’m in history class now…so that’s pretty telling of how I feel about it. The teacher bounces all over the place. Doesn’t even know when the time changes (we lose an hour almost every night) and we’re his 4th class of a really long day.
Global Studies is somewhere in between. I find the information interesting and the professor is really dynamic, but it’s in the worst classroom and I fall asleep everytime. Today I had to skip it so that I could finish my poem =/
The first video is up on the SAS youtube page (I’ll post the link when I get it). I didn’t help too much with it, I did some of the B-Roll and I little interview in it at the end because our girl intervewees never showed up. My supervisor, Mike basically did everything though.

I’m starting to really like life on the ship, but at the same time it’s getting kind of crazy. Cabin fever is setting in. I have become pretty good friends with one of my roommates (Rebecca). I still get along with the other one (Sylvia) pretty well but we don’t hang out as often.  I eat dinner with Jenny and Danielle (2 girls from the Bahamas Villa) pretty much everyday and then we sometimes play games later at night with a group of other girls.

The ship was pretty rocky for a couple days. I started to get a little seasick, but I’m all good now. This morning we passed an island. Not sure what island it was, but it was weird seeing an island in the middle of the Atlantic. After we passed the island the water looked so surreal. I can’t even explain how silky the ocean looked. I took a picture and a video (a la Double Rainbow guy) because just the smoothness of it was tripping me out.

I’m excited to get to Spain! I cancelled my Ibiza trip because I haven’t talked to the girls and it was going to be a huge waste of money (I found out the cover for most clubs is about $50) Me and my group of friends bought tickets to see Kaskade in Barcelona which will be just enough partying for me instead of 3 straight days of it.  I’m excited to get to Barcelona again and explore it without all the touring and the structure.  Hopefully someone I know speaks Spanish =/

As I mentioned earlier, we lose an hour of sleep almost everyday, so we’re functioning on 23 hour days. Of course I’m still a night owl and sometimes don’t get to sleep until 1 or 2 in the morning just because we’re eating cookies or playing board games. Last night it was taboo! The piano bar has this really awesome Japanses root beer…it is heaven (especially after the cookies!)

No comments:

Post a Comment