Wednesday, June 15, 2011

The driver on the bus goes..

Had the most interesting bus ride yesterday (which is saying something because I live in San Francisco where MUNI always an experience).  We were waiting across the street from our condo for the other half of our group. The bus NEVER stops at that stop, but for some reason one of the buses passed us. Seeing that we were all dressed up to go to dinner he stopped the bus and asked us if we wanted a ride not like a bus driver would, but how a guy wanting to pick-up a bunch of hitchhiking girls. We tried to explain that we were waiting for our friends but then he pulls the bus on the side of the road and says "go get um" the three of us are kind of just stunned and we just stand there looking at each other. I realize that he really isn't going to move that bus without us on it so I cross the street to go get them. Luckily they were at the end of the street so I yelled "Hurry up the bus is here!" and they start running (HILARIOUS) so we get on the bus and wait for them.


that's not all folks. We round the corner and he starts bumping the radio (American radio by the way) and honking at girls on the street. Every time he stops or slows down he break checks to kind of make the bus do hydrolics (and in time with the music too!) He starts doing it again with no real reason to stop or slow down, and then fully stops the bus next to 2 Bahamian girls walking in workout clothes with earphones in and honks at them. he says "Hey beautifuls" and the girls laugh and then the rest of what they said I couldn't hear. I couldn't believe he literally stopped the bus to, as an old roommate would say "holler at bitches" I suppose they ended their conversation because she put her earphone back in and we continued our bus ride.  Later on he was talking out the side of his window with the car next to him, and when I say talking I mean like PODAGEE talking with the hands and everything all out the window. I also didn't know that the "bus"here is more like a big van and the funny thing is that when this BIG guy came on the bus and there were no more seats and he just came next to me and pulled on my arm rest. Little did I know that that turned into a chair and blocked the rest of the aisle. Someone in the back seat needed to get off at the next stop and everyone in the aisle seats had to get up to let her out. Twas a very interesting experience and probably the most uniquely Bahamian experience I've had here (because beaches, touristy restaurants, and $500/night hotel lobbies aren't really my thang)


So even outside of San Fran, the most unique and interesting experiences are to be found on the bus :)   I honestly wish I could have taken a picture with the bus driver, but we got off at the last stop and in the interest of safety I didn't want him to think of it as an open invitation (Are you listening Dad?)

No comments:

Post a Comment