Sunday, January 8, 2012

Day 4 - Indescribable


I fell in love with Rwanda today. There’s no other word to describe the feeling I have right now. I’ve never felt so physically overjoyed and upset at the same time.  Whatever the word is for this, it’s the most intense emotion I have ever felt. It’s all thanks to a little girl named Rita.  I was expecting to be overwhelmed at the orphanage by sad faces, but from the second we arrived all I saw were smiles and little hands to hold.  Of course, Rita is just one of many children who call Gisimba their home, but she touched me deep down in my heart and soul. Saying goodbye to her smiling eyes was one of the toughest things I’ve ever had to do.  She is so curious and never left my side. When we left my hand felt empty without hers in it.  I fell in love with her smile and her sense of wonder.  She would admire my earrings and my hair, but she never once asked for anything. My presence was enough for her, but I wanted to give her everything I owned. She was a little more timid than the other kids, and I think that’s why I was so drawn to her because after a few minutes her personality really started to shine through.  I’d hear her quietly begin to sing, but if I drew attention to it she’d stop and flash the most shy yet flirtatious smile. Her dress reminded me of the fancy poofy ones that Keilana would wear and play princess.  Rita was amazed with my hair and kept touching it, and when the other kids were playing football, we sat on the side while she braided my hair.  Sitting next to me she played with my camera a little and caught on so fast! I didn’t even have to show her, but within a few minutes she was playing with the manual zoom and focus. She helped me get some great footage with commentary on who was in the shot and who they were to her.  She loves her sisters and wouldn’t stop talking about them.  I really hope she does email or call me, because I don’t think I could truly be okay in my life without knowing she’s alright.  Thank you Rita for sharing your love with me. The memory of your hugs and your soft “I love you” will fill my soul with this wordless emotion forever.



To learn more about the orphanage I visited visit http://Gisimba.org a donation of $300 sends a child like Rita to school for a year. That’s less than $30/month. Please consider it because there were so many other children who touched my heart that day.  There are some who live at Gisimba who are 18 years old, and although it is a great place, they deserve to have the same opportunities we have just for being born in America.

No comments:

Post a Comment