Thursday, January 12, 2012

Day 7 - Muhanga, a Cow, and an Inspirational Woman



I'm already out of order on days.  Yesterday was much lighter on my heart and everything about it made me feel good.  We toured around the Muhanga district, which is the sister city of Buffalo (the city most of the people in our group are from).  I was a little disappointed because we moved around so much so fast.  First, we went to a school for the handicapped, which I'm a little disappointed we moved through it so quickly.  It's nice to see how intentional Rwandans are in the work that they do.  It was difficult to communicate with the kids because I don't sign, but it's just another less in how universal a smile truly is.  Next, we went to a high school.  This school was so impressive, it is better than most public schools I've seen in America.  The students here were the best and the brightest, it's obvious that they recruited these students.  They value science and sports and are so knowledgeable about what exactly will bring them prosperity.  Next was a school for future teachers, which is where the group did their performance.  None of them would believe that I was 21, and those that did were surprised that I wasn't married and had no children.  I ended up talking to one of the guys about my major and he was so intrigued by the idea of studying communication on the psychological level and as a practice.  They're minds are so open, which is such a new concept to me.  People here want to share your knowledge and find the best way to do things.  It's all just so intentional.


The best part was when we drove way out into the boonies to one of the poorest neighborhoods in the district.  Steven had to stop the car because he couldn’t drive in all the way.  We slowly built up a crowd, and the kids would run down the hill just to catch a glimpse of the “Mazoonga”  We bought a cow and gave it to a poor family.  I was so overwhelmed with their gratefulness and curiousity.  After Drew paid for the cow, a very old man who was dressed in what probably was his nicest clothes started singing/chanting in KinriRwanda (sp?) to bless the cow and pray that it give the family much prosperity.  In Rwanda, cows are a symbol of wealth.  The word for wealth “Ishyo” actually means “herd of cow” when literally translated.  I am so grateful to be a part of this and it’s definitely true that giving is the best feeling in the world.  We changed this family’s life forever by giving what is so little to us.  I lucked out because I always lag so far behind the group and the old woman called to Drew and I because she wanted to show us her home.  I was just saying how curious I was about what the inside of their adobe houses look like.  It was a little dark, and definitely a simpler lifestyle, but there’s a beauty in that.  I was so honored to have shared that with her, and just like every other place that we’ve visited, I have a greater appreciation for EVERYTHING I have been given in my life.  I have a new way of thinking about how we solve problems and how I even identify something as a problem.  My computer not working at 100% really doesn’t seem like an issue anymore.  It’s an annoyance that I am so fortunate to have.


The mayor of Muhanga met us for lunch, and although she didn’t speak English, she is such an inspiration to me as a woman.  Rwanda has the most female representation in government per capita than any other country in the world and the mayor is such a strong woman.  Their initiatives to improve her district are so intentional.  They don’t just grow anything in anyway, they test out different crops to be sure that they are getting the most out of the little they have.  The reintegrate criminals by making them do tangible and visible work within the community. That way, civilians see the good that they have done and it builds that sense of comraderie and community for when the convicts have served their time. Rwanda’s justice system is the most effective at not just throwing away people’s lives after they’ve committed a crime. For a place that has experienced the worst hatred and violence I’ve ever seen, there is such little animosity towards each other because of it.   The feeling of reconciliation and forgiveness throughout is so eye opening to me, and I hope that I can reciprocate it in my own life and help to spread this beautiful idea with everyone I meet, and I hope that those of you who read this can understand it well enough to spread the love as well :)


At the risk of sounding preachy, I’m going to stop now.  I am so thankful to every person I have met here for their smiles and their compassion.  I am forever changed.

No comments:

Post a Comment