Friday, July 22, 2011

So it's been awhile...


since I blogged. I think the last thing I wrote was about Italy, but it could have even been earlier. I don't have too much time to write right now, but here's a little recap:

Croatia was amazing. Such a beautiful place, but I get the feeling I was stuck in a touristy part of town the whole time. Like going to Hawai'i and only seeing Waikiki. We stumbled upon a not so touristy "beach" (there was no sand) and there were a lot of families and no one really spoke English there which was a good sign. Cliff Jumping was really fun. Never had to climb that hard to jump into water and the climb was definitely the scariest part of the whole thing. They even have cliff bars that serve drinks and snacks on the cliff so after you jump you can have a beer haha. On the last day people woke up really late so I ventured out on my own and saw some of the churches. As much as I'm loving my friends I definitely needed that. I would have left Croatia completely disappointed but that morning I walked around the old city and found the Church of St. Ignatius. Even after the Vatican and all these famous churches, going into that empty church and seeing the beautiful artwork and having time to actually read what it was all about was really what I needed at that point in the trip. I was getting pretty homesick and starting to wonder if I was actually getting anything out of Semester at Sea that was worth it. I even found this really cute market and bought some sage honey with almonds (ate some yesterday in my peanut butter sandwich and it was AWESOME).

Greece was pretty crazy. 1st day in Piraeus I had Greek yogurt and honey for breakfast then went to Athens and saw the Acropolis. It was cool, but after all the hype it's not really worth the heat stroke. It was pretty much like walking through the desert. If you're ever in Greece, go to the Acropolis in the wintertime...you're body will thank you. Afterwards Lisa and I went to Placa and shopped around a little bit. Got some really good food. Had a Greek salad and Lisa got Kebabs. The cook sent us over some free french fries too. Bought some Greek sandals and a few other gifts. After we got back to the ship we watched the Women's World Cup Finals at where else but TGI Fridays...yea I'm being serious...it was such a good game and we had a great time, but the US totally could have won it. My friend Paige's friend was actually in it and scored the first goal which was pretty cool. 2nd day we had no plans and there was a taxi strike so getting into Athens was going to be impossible. We walked around Piraeus for 2 hours trying to find a movie theater to watch Harry Potter. Finally got someone to tell us how to get there, but the bus took 1 and a half HOURS to show up because of the taxi strike. Got to the mall and Harry Potter was so worth it. I definitely can't believe it's over feels like my childhood has officially ended. Going to watch it again when I get back to the states because it really was the best movie.

I'm running out of time, so I'll just give the bare minimums. Next day went to Mykonos - fun but way too many tourists. Then went to Paros - totally UNDERRATED. my favorite part of Greece by far and wish we could have just went straight there. We're on the ship now and on the way to Bulgaria =) sad to be half way through the trip but excited for the next few countries. We're going through the straits of Turkey right now and it's pretty cool. I just looked out my window and saw the Turkey War Memorial..kind of awesome.


ps someone email me if I never wrote anything about Italy and I'll fill ya'll in.

No comments:

Post a Comment